Older Michiganians Day (OMD) is an annual event that takes place on the East
Lawn of the Capitol Building in Lansing in early June. This event brings together
hundreds of seniors, aging service providers and senior advocates.
This free event provides the opportunity to share a unified voice with the Legislature
expressing the concerns, challenges, and opportunities for older adults by the
experts, older adults themselves and aging service providers.
The event features:
- A Rally on the East Lawn of the Capitol Building
- Keynote Speakers
- Group and individual meetings with your State Legislators
- Presentation of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Community Service Awards
- Presentation of the Senior Citizen of the Year Awards
Older Michiganians Day Steering Committee
Older Michiganians Day is planned by a group of organizations committed to advocating on behalf of the needs and interests of older adults across the state of Michigan. The steering committee is responsible for planning the annual event in Lansing, producing the advocacy platform which outlines a coordinated message calling for legislative actions and developing an annual report card that rates the achievements of the Governor and the Legislature in accomplishing recommended actions.
Members of the Steering Committee Include:
- Valley Area Agency on Aging
- AARP of Michigan
- Area Agency on Aging Association of Michigan
- Area Agency on Aging 1-B
- Michigan Association of Senior Centers
- Michigan Association of Nutrition and Aging Services Programs
- Michigan Directors of Services to the Aging
- Michigan Senior Advocates Council
- Region II Area Agency on Aging
- Region IV Area Agency on Aging
- Senior Volunteer Programs of Michigan
- The Senior Alliance
- Tri-County Office on Aging
2018 Older Michigan’s Day!